What is Faith?
Faith is absolute confidencethat comes from personal knowledge of God – personal revelation from his word. A man or woman who will walk in unshakable faith will have no doubt about God’s word
What is doubt? Doubt is being uncertain or unsure about something. The bible says in James that the man who doubts is double-mindedshould not think he will receive anything from God
• When you really are fully persuaded that God is Lord…….is master over all — you will really believe nothing is impossible
• When you are fully persuaded how deeply God loves you —-there will be no room for anykind of fear
Luke 1:37-King James Version – 37 For with God nothing shall be impossible.
Abraham is called the father of faith. Here are key highlights from Abrahams life:
–Abraham at 75 years is promised a son – and God told him that he would be the father of many —
–the promised eventually comes at 100 —
—At 100 years –after this son comes — God tells Abraham to offer this son —to God—
The bible says — early in the morning Abraham saddled his donkey and took his only son ready to offer him to God
—Abraham was so committed in his faith in God that he was fully persuaded that God could raise his son from the dead
According to Romans 4:20-25 (New English Translation) – 20 He[a] did not waver in unbelief about the promise of God but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God. 21 He was[b] fully convinced that what God[c] promised he was also able to do.
- What is faith?
According to Hebrews 11, Faith is the confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.
A list of people are provided in Hebrews 11 of people of God who had unshakable faith in God – one of those men is David
Here are a few highlights from David’s life:
• As a young boy David worshiped and honored God
• David also had great confidence and trust in God –
• In –1 Samuel 17 – we read the story of how David killed Goliath- Goliath was a philistine who threatened Gods people. Everyone was afraid of Goliath – but not David
This is how the bible describes Goliath–
1 Samuel 17:4-7
4-7 A giant nearly ten feet tall stepped out from the Philistine line into the open, Goliath from Gath. He had a bronze helmet on his head and was dressed in armor—126 pounds of it! He wore bronze shin guards and carried a bronze sword. His spear was like a fence rail—the spear tip alone weighed over fifteen pounds. His shield bearer walked ahead of him.
• Faith is not automatic— this is important!!! There are many aspects of faith
• The heart is a factor for the operation of faith – that’s why you must guard what you let into your heart – guard your heart with all diligence for out of it flows the issues of life (Proverbs 4:23)
- How do you walk in Unshakable Faith?
a. By What you hear
Romans 10:17 – Christian Standard Bible – 17 So faith comes from what is heard, and what is heard comes through the message about Christ.[a]
b. By What you say
• Mark 11:23 – New King James Version – 23 For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, ‘Be removed and be cast into the sea,’ and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will be done, he will have whatever he says.
• 2 Corinthians 4:13 – New King James Version – 13 And since we have the same spirit of faith, according to what is written, “I believed and therefore I spoke,” we also believe and therefore speak,
c. By What you do
Biblical faith is the trust and commitment to do Gods Word – not just hear it. Biblical faith is trust and commitment to Gods word.
James 2:19 : “You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that—and shudder.”
The demons believe that God exists, and they may even know more about God than people do, but they do not have faith in Him. Unfortunately, many people have the same kind of belief that the demons have, but that it is not sufficient for their salvation.
d. By with whom you hang around